Please read Samarpan on the site and contribute your mite to Sri Sathya Sai Veda Pratishtan. | Please Subscribe to Vedamu YouTube channel

Features | Experience of the Divinity of Bhagavan by Devotees | Group VI | Mrs. Premakumari

Mrs. Premakumari,
Sadam Jewellers,
Ramar Koil Street,
Chittoor - 517 001.

Tel: 08572-227171

      Mrs. Prema Kumari (65), a housewife, relates a few of her experiences of the Divinity of Bhagavan in her own words.

'My parents were devotees of Bhagavan. I am, therefore, fortunate to have gone to Prasanthi Nilayam and have darshan of Bhagavan since my childhood.

In my childhood, I used to fall ill quite often. When my parents mentioned about my health to Bhagavan when I was 13 years old, He materialised an armlet and gave me to wear. After that my health improved though I continued to suffer from asthma. 'It will subside' Swami told my parents, 'after she is married'.

I was married in 1960. My husband, Mr. G. Kanaka Raju was a devotee of Lord Venkateswara and evinced no interest in Bhagavan. However, he did not object to my visiting Prasanthi Nilayam whenever I felt like going there. Once or twice he, too, come to Parthi with me, but he used to behave like a friend with Bhagavan. He did not even do namaskar to Bhagavan. But Bhagavan used to call him 'alludu (son-in-law)'.

Bhagavan gave a name to my son Manohar. 'It sounds old fashioned, swami!' I pleaded, 'give him some modern name'. 'Do you know the meaning of Manohar?' Swami retorted, 'he makes all hearts happy.' He did not change the name.

Around 1975, I had an attack of asthma. It was so severe that I was shifted to Chennai for treatment. One night, my condition turned critical. I could see Swami going in with each inhalation and coming out with exhalation. 'How much trouble You are taking for me, Swami?' I used to pray. I was so immersed in my own suffering that I could not think of anything except Swami. Then I felt some trying to enter my room. Swami stood at the door, stretching His hands and pushing them out. This went on for quite sometime till I dozed off completely. Next morning, my condition started improving. I could return home after a few days. Since then my asthma has remained at manageable level.

In 1984, the marriage of my daughter Lavanya was settled. Swami blessed the alliance, gave me and my daughter new clothes, and materialised and gave mangalasutra for my daughter.

In the same year, my husband had an attack of jaundice. We took him to the Apollo Hospital in Chennai. As his complexion turned to ash colour, the doctors said, 'we cannot say anything now; chances of his survival are dim'. Owing to Swami's grace, he recovered miraculously. Not only that, he became an ardent devotee of Bhagavan to the delight of all of us.

Swami called us for interview whenever we went to Prasanthi Nilayam. In 2003, my husband's health failed. Swami told us in an interview 'do Swami homam'. We consulted many but none could tell what 'Swami homam' is. One priest said 'there is Swami homam'. We engaged him. He recited Sai Ashtottarasatanamas and Sai Gayathri, and performed homam.

In 2004, my husband's renal problems turned acute. He was shifted to Chennai and was kept in the ICU in a hospital. We were not allowed to see him except for a few minutes every day. 'If you condescend to spare his life' I prayed to Swami, 'nothing like that. But in case you want take him, kindly do it after the advent of Uttarayana'. Just two days before the passing away of my husband after the advent of Uttarayana, I could 'see' the ICU in my room itself where we were put up in Chennai at that time. I could clearly see my husband resting on his bed. Swami went into that room. He lifted my husband and placed him on His shoulder, as we place a child before lullaby to sleep. 'How could Swami bear the weight of my husband?' I wondered as well as worried. Two days after this, my husband breathed his last. Even now, I feel that he lies with Bhagavan and has not gone anywhere else.'

-- Mrs. Prema Kumari

   (As narrated to Mr. B. Parvatala Rao at Prasanthi Nilayam on 23.02.2006)