Please read Samarpan on the site and contribute your mite to Sri Sathya Sai Veda Pratishtan. | Please Subscribe to Vedamu YouTube channel

Features | Experience of the Divinity of Bhagavan by Devotees | Group III | Mr. U. Narayana Rao

Mr. U. Narayana Rao
6-112, Ravindra Nagar
Old Dairy Farm Post
Visakhapatnam - 530 040
Tel: 0891-530 9698

Mr. U. Narayana Rao (61), a retired lecturer, relates his experiences of the Divinity of Bhagavan in his own words.

'Originally, I had Marxist leanings without much belief in religious practices. Then I was still a student in Hyderabad; one day - I think this was around 1965 - I was coming by bus from the university. The bus was to halt at Tulja Bhavan stop. But it stopped much ahead. I got down and saw a sizable crowd there.

'What is the matter?' I enquired.

'Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba is in that house giving Darshan', someone replied.

The house he pointed out was that of Mr. Boorgula Ramakrishna Rao, former Chief Minister of Hyderabad State. I don't remember correctly, but he was the Governor of Kerala or Uttar Pradesh at that time. At that time, I was not the type that frequented god-men. I went into that house almost involuntarily. Swami was giving Darshan. It is the first time that I had Darshan of Bhagavan.

I retired in 1999 as a lecturer and accepted a teaching assignment in a tutorial college at Vizag. The wife of the owner of that college was a devotee of Bhagavan. In those days we were worried about the marriage of my daughter, who was aged 26. We had a suspicion that our own close relatives were spoiling all alliances that we used to take up. That is one reason why I shifted to Vizag. The wife of the owner of the tutorial college told me one day, 'we are going to Puttaparthi. Why don't you join us, and have Darshan of Bhagavan?'

I was trying to buy a house site in Ravindra Nagar in Visakhapatnam. Actually someone was to buy it. But by God's grace, chance came my way. I had the agreement signed on January 7, 2001 and started for Puttaparthi on the 8th. We reached Puttaparthi on the 9th and had Darshan of Bhagavan for the second time. Luckily, my wife Mrs. Nagaratna used to get the first or second line. As Swami was walking along, she used to pray silently 'Swami! We have to perform our daughter's marriage. We have no one to help us except you. Far from helping us, our own people are out to spoil our efforts. So kindly bless us and see that proposals come to us of their own accord'. I was not aware of what she was praying for. We were there for three days and returned to Vizag.

On January 17, we received a letter. 'We have come to know that you have a daughter for marriage', the letter went on, 'we have an eligible bachelor - a post-graduate (M.Tech.) employed in Amul Dairy, Gujarat. If you are interested, you can contact us'. The letter gave their phone number. We phoned up and went to their house. The bridegroom came from Gujarath to see the girl on February 17.

In fact, he wanted to see the girl and get back. But as a muhurtam was available on February 27, he stayed on. That again was Sai's grace, because had he gone back, he would not have been able to return. Godhra disturbances occurred just then. Had it been delayed, our relatives would have had a chance to spoil this alliance, too. Nothing of this sort happened owing to Bhagavan's grace. The marriage was consummated on February 27.

My wife told me then what she had prayed to Swami. As per her prayer, Swami sent the alliance to our doorstep; made them contact us on their own; saw to it that the bridegroom stayed on till the marriage was over. I went to the wife of the owner of our tutorial college and said, 'Madam, I have to thank you for taking us to Puttaparthi. Swami performed the marriage of my daughter. I could not do it for years'.

My wife was ailing for sometime. She had her only desire fulfilled when our daughter was married. It is a good alliance, the boy is well behaved, educated and employed decently, besides he has property worth more than Rs. 10 lakhs. My wife breathed her last in 2003 peacefully.

My son, Lenin Babu is also a Sai devotee. He was requesting me to go to Puttaparthi and spend sometime there peacefully, 'I am leaving on February 7, 2005 on some work and meet you at Puttaparthi. I have reserved a ticket for you on the 8th', he told me before leaving. I got ready for the journey. But suddenly, on the night of the 7th, I had an attack of bronchial allergy. I felt breathing difficulty. 'I cannot undertake a long journey in this condition', I thought; so I got the ticket cancelled. That night I was with my sister in Vizag. She gave me milk with Tulasi leaves. Though I suffered all night without sleep, I felt better by morning.

'I feel better now. Why should I postpone my visit?' I thought. Besides, I have a sentimental reason to visit Puttaparthi as I vowed to go there earlier. That trip was still pending. I told my sister about the change in my plans. 'O.K.! You can go', she readily agreed. Usually she would have said, 'why not wait for a couple of days and rest? You have got the ticket cancelled any way'.

So I entrained. I had to travel by unreserved compartment. My sister gave me curd-rice and bananas for lunch. But I hesitated to take them, as I was afraid that my bronchial problem might recur. Since my childhood, I have not been able to withstand hunger. The moment I feel hungry, I must have something to eat. I looked for idli at Guntur. All trolleys of eatables coming along the platform had only oily eatables.

'Don't you have idli?' I asked a vendor. He laughed, 'it is 5 o' clock in the evening now. You won't get any idli'. I asked 3 or 4 vendors. All replied thus. I could not withstand hunger. I dared not eat anything other than idli for fear of a relapse. I stood helplessly under a tree on the platform and wept praying, 'Swami! I am hungry. What shall I do? Help me'.

Next moment a trolley came there. The vendor was beckoning, 'idli, vada'. I thought Swami came in that form, ran to him and had my fill. I reached safely Puttaparthi. I carried my suitcase somehow up to the accommodation office. In my poor health, it was too much for me to carry it. I was praying, as I was afraid of a relapse. Just at that time my son was coming. He saw me and relieved me of my burden. I had relief exactly when I needed it.

After my arrival here I feel normal. My health problem has ceased to bother me owing to Swami's grace. The only thought I entertain now is 'how fortunate I would be if only I get a chance to serve Swami and be near Him'. What more can I do to Him for all that He does for me?'

-- Mr. U. Narayana Rao

(As narrated to Mr. B. Parvatala Rao at Prasanthi Nilayam on 01.03.2005.)