Please read Samarpan on the site and contribute your mite to Sri Sathya Sai Veda Pratishtan. | Please Subscribe to Vedamu YouTube channel

Features | Experience of the Divinity of Bhagavan by Devotees | Group I | Mr. K.N.P.Nayar

Mr. K.N.P.Nayar
A-4, Sai Swagat Residency
Chitravati Road
Puttaparthi - 515 134
Tel: 08555-288627

Mr. K.N.P.Nayar (75), a businessman from London, presently settled at Puttaparthi, narrates his experiences of the Divinity of Bhagavan in his own words.

'I hail from Kerala. After doing a course in Photography in Germany, I went to London and started my own business there. My wife Mrs. Girija was working in teaching line in London.

One of my neighbours in London told me one day. 'A Bhagavat is coming here with silver feet of Shirdi Sai Baba. He wants Bhajan to be organized. As I am aged, I am not in a position to run around, call people and organize it. Will you be able to do it?' I agreed. Bhajan went off well. The Bhagavat gave me a Photograph of Shirdi Sai Baba. That is how Baba entered my house in London first. This was in 1963. I have been attending to Bhajans since then.

In 1972, I had a dream. In the dream, I was having a house at Puttaparthi and was residing there. When we were in our house at Puttaparthi, Swami came there (in the dream) and said, 'where are the fruits? Go and bring some.' So saying He gave me some money to bring fruits. When I brought the fruits and tried to return the change, Swami said to me, 'keep the change'.

In the same year we came to Puttaparthi for the first time. Later, we visited both Brindavan and Prasanthi Nilayam several times.

On June 6, 1993 the doorbell in our London house rang around 5:30 a.m. By that time my wife was up already, and was in the shrine room. I was awake, but was lying in bed waiting for coffee. At that time there was no chance of any visitor calling on us. Wondering who that could be, I got down the stairs and opened all locks on the main door. Keeping the safety chain in tact, I peeped out through the slit. I saw Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba standing there! I was flabbergasted by what I saw. Hurriedly, I removed the safety chain and opened the door.

'Can I come in?' Swami asked.

'Of course, Swami!' I replied, 'You can come in. This is your house'.

Then Swami walked in.

'My wife is upstairs', I added as I got busy bolting and locking the door again, 'I will follow in a minute'.

Swami ascended a couple of steps and turned back towards me and said, 'I want some peace and quiet. I will be with you for a few days'. Then He went upstairs.

My wife who was in the shrine room heard the doorbell as well as my talking to someone. She was anxiously looking into the corridor from the door of the shrine room, which was open. She saw Swami. It was too much of a pleasant shock for her. At such sudden arrival of Bhagavan, which was the most unexpected thing, she just collapsed. Meanwhile, I, too, came upstairs. I sprinkled some water on the face of my wife. She recovered and signaled to me to offer the chair to Swami. We always keep one chair exclusively for Swami in our shrine room. I prayed to Swami to be seated. He came in and sat by the side of my wife on the carpet (there was a wall to wall carpet in the shrine room). Swami began asking us some questions about our welfare informally.

'If you have a guest', Swami asked me, 'where would you take him for sight seeing?'

I mentioned what came to my mind such as Buckingham palace, Trafalgar square, Thames embankment, Big Ben, etc.

'Ok! Then we will go', Swami said getting up.

I asked my wife to change her dress and come. I got down to the ground floor with Swami. I took out my car. Swami sat in the front seat while I was driving. My wife came and sat in the back seat. We went round the London city. We did not get down from the car anywhere. At the Thames, Swami said, 'what a lovely place?'

'We may get down, Swami!' I said, 'and walk along the embankment for a while!'

Swami did not get down. We moved on. By about 10.30 a.m. we were back at our house.

Before starting on this excursion, my wife asked Swami, 'would you like to have coffee, tea, milk or cool drink?'

Swami looked at His wrist as if He was looking at His watch (He wore no wrist watch), tapped on His left wrist with the forefinger of His right hand and said, 'Time'. We did not press, and moved on to our car.

On return my wife said, 'Swami! We won't have to go to work today. We will wait on you.'

'Work is worship', Swami told us, 'both of you should go to work. Even if you stay behind, you won't be able to see me. But I will be here.'

The moment Swami came in, there was a fine fragrance that enveloped our house.

'You will have visitors?' Swami told us, 'don't tell them I am here'.

We arranged a cot and bed for Swami in our shrine room. We always used to keep some fruits in that room for Bhagavan. After he retired into that room, He did not talk to us any more. Visitors used to ask us about the fragrance. We used to tell them that it was of some new brand of incense. They would call the fragrance of agarbatties 'Temple smell'.

Swami was in our house from June 6 to 9. Then the fragrance ceased. We understood that He had left. We went into the room and brought out the fruits, which were there, untouched. My wife gave an apple to me to cut so that we could have prasadam. As I was about to cut it, I noticed that there was 'Aum' (single letter in Devanagari script) on that fruit. We did not cut it but tried to preserve it. I have some photographs of the apple. After three months, we took it out when it just crumpled as if it was hollow inside.

When Swami was talking to me on our return from sight seeing, He told me, 'you are away (from India) for a very, very long time. It's high time to come back'.

But I could not follow that advice immediately. We could come to Puttaparthi only in 1994. Later, I disposed off my London house and business, and finally settled at Puttaparthi in 2002.

In 2002, while we were still in London, I had a dream. In the dream I was at Puttaparthi attending some function there. Swami was giving Darshan. I could see myself in the crowd there. Later, I came to know that day was Gurupurnima. Swami wanted to bless me with His Darshan on that auspicious occasion even though I was thousands of miles away.

In 2003, we were at Brindavan. Swami was at Kodaicanal. No one knew when He would return to Brindavan. One night I had a dream that Swami was coming in a car to Brindavan. I told my wife after I awoke the next morning, 'Swami will be coming today'. Swami, indeed, returned that day in the evening.'

-- Mr. K.N.P.Nayar.

(As narrated to Mr. B.Parvatala Rao at Prasanthi Nilayam on 28.06.2004.)