Please read Samarpan on the site and contribute your mite to Sri Sathya Sai Veda Pratishtan. | Please Subscribe to Vedamu YouTube channel

Features | Experience of the Divinity of Bhagavan by Devotees | Group I | Mr. Durga Prasad

Mr. Durga Prasad
Sri Sathya Sai Vihar
Oruguvari Veedhi, Mutyalampadu
Vijayawada - 520 011
Tel: 0866-2533002

Mr. Durga Prasad (54), a businessman, relates a few of his experiences of the Divinity of Bhagavan in his own words.

'Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba came to Vijayawada to inaugurate Sri Sathya Sai Mandir there in 1983. Though I could not attend the meeting as I was away, I heard about Bhagavan for the first time. Since then I have been participating in Bhajans and seva activities. I visited Puttaparthi for the first time in 1984.

In 1987, my wife had a dream. In it she saw our son crawling and falling in a tub kept near the toilet. She brushed it off as a bad dream. Next morning she was cleaning rice, and saw the boy crawling towards the toilet. In a few seconds he went near the tub with water and fell in it. It was exactly like the scene she had seen in her dream. She cried 'Sai Ram', ran and saved the boy in time. Swami showed exactly in her dream about what was going to happen.

In 1993, my father suffered a stroke of paralysis. I wanted to go to Puttaparthi and pray to Swami for the health of my father. First we went to Tirupati and from there to Brindavan, Bangalore where Bhagavan was there at that time. When we were in Darshan line, Swami gestured us to come near Him. I, along with two others, went there. One of us brought padukas, which were blessed by Swami. Another person brought akshatas, etc and Swami blessed him by sprinkling akshatas. Swami did not see me at all. After going a little distance Swami showed three of His fingers. I could not follow.

Later, I had a dream on return to my home. In it Swami appeared, and showed His hand with three fingers. I was only praying mentally about my father's health. I could not understand the meaning of His raised three fingers even then. Later, exactly three months and three days after that, my Father passed away.

In 1988, my brother's wife, Mrs. Ratna Kumari delivered a boy, but later developed fits. I went to their place Anakapalli and saw her in a nursing home. I prayed for her to Bhagavan. I gave some vibhuti to be given to her with water. Something told me internally that she would be all right.

I returned to my place along with my mother. My mother was reluctant to return to Vijayawada in view of the serious condition of my brother's wife. On return, I telephoned to them. They informed me that she had recovered well and was ok. I rushed to my mother to inform her about this welcome development. She was asleep. When I tried to wake her up, she asked me not to disturb her. After a few minutes, she awoke and told me that Swami had appeared in her dream and told her that her daughter-in-law at Anakapalli would be all right. I said that I, too, had brought the same news. After an hour or so, my Father, too, came from Anakapalli and said that the patient was being discharged.

In 1999, I started construction of a house. We laid the foundation stone on August 30. On the advice of a devotee, I started writing weekly letters to Swami informing him of the progress of work of the construction of the house. The work progressed with such speed that the house was ready in less than three months. We had Grihapravesam function on November 19, 1999. The house has two floors besides the ground floor.

My uncle was in gunny bags business. I was in his service since 1967. He was liberal in payments, but was a very tough taskmaster. I joined Sri Sathya Sai Samiti and was an active member. I enlisted myself for seva at Puttaparthi for the 60th Birthday Celebrations of Bhagavan. But I did not know how to get his permission to be absent nearly for 15 days. Somehow I had to break the news to him. One day he did not attend to office, as he was not well. I went to see him at his residence. Then I told him that I enlisted for seva for Bhagavan's Birthday.

'How can you go?' he demanded, 'on November 22, they are felicitating me - all the Gunny Merchants Associations in the State. You will have lot of work'.

I did not know what to say. I prayed to Swami. Then I said, 'I have given my name. Besides it is Bhagavan's Birthday'.

'Go!' he shouted at me literally. I did not know whether he permitted me to go or was asking me to get out. I went to Puttaparthi on November 12 for seva. When I returned around November 25, all were apprehensive of my dismissal. I was praying to Bhagavan. On my return he called me. As I was going into his room, everyone including me was certain that he would explode with rage. I entered his room silently praying to Bhagavan.

'Take these papers', my uncle said, 'sign on them'.

I meekly obliged. When I came out and read the set of papers he gave me, I could not believe my eyes. Far from dismissing me, my uncle made me a partner of his firm with 10% share! I thanked Swami for His Grace.

After my uncle passed away in 1999, his sons retained me as their commission agent till they disbanded their business. In 2004, I set up my own firm to sell gunny bags. By Swami's grace, my business is good. It helps me to get on well.

In 1991, we took my brother's daughter to Puttaparthi for Annaprasana (first feeding). Daily we used to take payasam and sit in Darshan lines. Swami used to come but was not looking at us. On the sixth day, he came and performed Annaprasana to the child. Again in 1995, we took the second daughter of the same brother for Annaprasana to Puttaparthi. For two days, Swami did not come to us. On the third day, He came and performed Annaprasana.

'Give the child a name, Swami!' my brother's wife prayed.

'Next you would ask me to perform her marriage also', Swami quipped, 'what are you calling her now?'

'Sai', my brother's wife replied.

'Call her Sai Prasanna' He declared. On that day, He was in such a jovial mood that he gave a number of people around, whatever they had asked.'

-- Mr. Durga Prasad.

(As narrated to Mr. B.Parvatala Rao at Prasanthi Nilayam on 02.07.2004.)